Try these easy ways to reduce salt and fat when you cook.
1. Add less salt.
2. Season your food with herbs and spices instead of salt.
– Add oregano & black pepper to green peas or corn
– Add lemon & black pepper over mixed vegetables.
3. Choose “no salt added” or “reduced salt” regular canned vegetables.
1. Remove skin and fat from meats like chicken.
2. Use non-stick cooking pans or cooking spray to use less oil or butter to cook food.
3. Steam or microwave vegetables.
4. Choose lower fat alternative foods: – Use low-fat milk (1%) instead of whole milk – Choose low-fat canola mayonnaise instead of full fat mayonnaise. – Grab a lower-fat fudgesicle rather than a bowl of full-fat ice cream.
By: April Agne, MPH (March 2013, Updated: September 2014)