Fall is finally here and I’m sure we are all excited to get out of the heat and enter into some cooler weather. Here are some healthy fall meals to keep you and your family happy this fall season:
Slow Cooker Pork with Walnuts and Apples
(serves 8) serving size- 4 ounces of meat
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or reduced-sodium broth
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup or brown sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon rosemary, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon sage, dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 pounds pork loin or tenderloin, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 8 sections
- 1/2 cup California Walnuts, toasted and chopped
- In a slow cooker, stir together broth, maple syrup, lemon juice, mustard, rosemary, garlic salt and sage.
- In a large skillet sear pork in oil until nicely browned on all sides.
- Place in slow cooker and stir to coat with mixture. Top with onions, then cover and cook on high for 2 1/2 hours.
- Add apples and cook for 30 minutes more or until pork and apples are tender. Sprinkle with walnuts and serve.
Green Bean Salad with Walnuts
(serves 4) serving size – 2 ounces
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon or brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water with a steamer basket to a boil, add green beans and steam for 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Toast the walnuts in a small dry skillet over a medium heat until they become fragrant, about 2 minutes, and then transfer them to a small bowl. Add the parsley and onion to the walnuts and stir to combine.
- In another small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar and mustard.
- Toss the dressing with the green beans, top with the walnut mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
All recipes are courtesy of California Walnuts. For more great recipes check out their website.